Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Beginnings

After a month and a half hiatus, I have decided to revisit my very neglected blog with an update on how I've spent the first part of 2010.  I love New Year's because it's always an opportunity for a fresh start.  It's only been a couple of weeks, but already the year has been busy with new resolutions to accomplish and projects to complete!

My Debut at the Santiago Art Walk 

With our big move to the art district in Santa Ana, I've been preparing to open my art gallery to debut my own artwork, but the debut came earlier than I had anticipated.  One of our neighbors, who is also Bernie's coworker, offered his gallery to showcase my work this weekend since my own gallery was not ready.  I was hesitant because I felt I didn't have enough work to show, but my amazing and supportive husband wouldn't take no for an answer.

With one day to prepare, we both frantically spent the morning putting together arrangements for that evening's art walk.  I feel so lucky to have a professional artist for a husband because we were figuring out compositions, color and texture together.  We literally were working against to clock to have everything completed before the art walk was to start.

I was starting with nothing but my work.  No business cards, no company name, no logo... just a simple printout of a sign up sheet if people wanted more information about future purchases or classes.

As people would walk by my work, Bernie would whisper excitedly about how people were signing up or complimenting my pieces.  He would nudge me to go over, but I just couldn't get myself to look. Overall, I felt it was a successful yet humble beginning to my new venture into my career in art.

Here are some pictures that Bernie took of that night.

The center arrangement is actually a wedding bouquet that I just put into a silver vase.  I needed to be resourceful with so little time to prepare. 

I have a lot more pictures, but I think I'll save those for another post. Have a blessing week!

8 comments:

  1. wow unnie. it's beautiful! I'm so proud to call you my sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi cat! SO amazing and beautiful! My mom and sister were looking on with me and they also are singing your praises. :) Can I be your first customer? Can I place an order? I'd like to decorate the house with some flowers.. can you make me some? Let me know how much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi catherine, this is jenny from crossway...congrats on taking the plunge and showing your work! i love the peonies, gorgeous! it's neat to hear how bernie has been your cheerleader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. catherine! jamie here :) these pictures are AMAZING. wait, no, i meant, your flowers are AMAZING!!! good to see you putting your work out there.

    like ang said, YOU INSPIRE ME! more than you know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!
    Jene - ditto!
    Starbelinda - can't wait to catch up soon!
    Alice - I love your family =)
    Jenny - Thanks! Bernie has been such a great support =)
    Chris - Thanks! you're so sweet. You need to come out here =)
    Jamie - Jamie!!! I can't believe you found me. You need to come visit us again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be cool if you could take a picture of each piece and give a little description of each one on your blog. Oh and tell bernie to call me.

    ReplyDelete