Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Traditional Ceramics



Before I started my venture into the Deco clay art form, I was dabbling in traditional ceramics. When I was in Korea after I graduated university, I started taking classes there and learned a little bit about throwing pieces on the wheel.  However, I never was able to progress because of my work schedule.

Fast forward 7 years later...I decided to attempt to go back and try to take some classes at my local community art center with my husband.  I absolutely love everything about working with clay.  I'm just starting out and most of my classmates have worked with it for decades. Here are some of my first pieces that are nowhere near the level of craftsmanship of my peers, but I'm motivated to start heading to the studio more and making more pieces.  The great thing about ceramics is that I can use whatever I make.  

Here are some pinch pots and a plate that I made for my first ceramics class.






4 comments:

  1. oh wow... awesome.. i have been wanting to take the ceramics class... jealous! when i have more time for me thats one of the many things i want to do. can't wait to see what else you create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking classes at the Irvine Art Center so let me know if you ever have time. We could take classes together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. catherine this is awesome! good for you! aaron's parents are both artists/potters by profession and ive come to love pottery work. looking forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these bowls are old looking. i think i'm more modern. these are old school.

    ReplyDelete