Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Art of Throwing and Glazing

In addition to my clay flowers, I've been taking classes at the local art center to learn traditional ceramics. I recently started to learn how to throw pieces on the wheel.   I've always had a fascination with wanting to work on the wheel and it wasn't because I watched the Ghost movie too many times=)  I originally learned how to throw bowls and cups in Korea so I thought that it wouldn't be too hard to pick this technique back up in class.  Mind you, it's been 8 years since I've thrown pottery so I knew I would be rusty.

When I sat at the wheel and tried to follow through with what my current teacher was teaching me,  things weren't going as smoothly.  After many failed attempts, I realized that I had learned how to throw with the wheel spinning in the opposite direction.  For some reason, potters in the U.S. decided to do things differently... not sure why.  Unfortunately, I had to relearn everything.

Here are some of my pieces. This first picture is the very first bowl that I threw.  Seasoned potters are able to make their pieces thin, but mine as you can see is very chunky.  Hopefully, I'll get better as I start practicing more.


One of the exciting things about pottery is that you can actually use and design what you make.  I had made some tea cups on the wheel since that's the easiest thing you can make when you're first learning.  When I got them back yesterday, we immediately started using them to drink water with our dinner.  I don't know if it's because we're biased, but water never tasted so good!


Glazing is another animal I had to master and learn.  One of the fun things about glazing is that it's often times unpredictable how your pieces will turn out. You may put a blue glaze on your piece, but it may turn out a gray.

Since we're both novices we just went crazy dunking our bowls and cups in whatever glazes were around.  Here's what our finished products look like.


Some of the pieces look like a muddy mess, but that's the fun of it all!

4 comments:

  1. love every single one! great work! makes me want to start taking classes and stop thinking about taking them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your website through your gmail status link and I am sooooo impressed! I looked at everything: your roses, your pottery, etc. and everything looks beautiful! Good thing I am not your husband because I wouldn't be able to offer any constructive criticism, only praise! :-)
    Blessings,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Juna - let me know if you want to take a class! there are tons of moms taking ceramics=)

    Jene- "we" = bernie and me.

    Anna - I'm so glad that you found my site. It's definitely been a fun journey. I can't wait till our group finally all meets together=)

    ReplyDelete