Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Monkeying Around with Clay

I wanted to share one of my latest clay projects that I've been working on for the last phase of my certification process. I absolutely love monkeys because it has a lot of sentimental value for me so I decided to base my final deco clay project on them.  I drew a lot of concepts and it finally evolved to the image above.  Bernie graciously painted the concept out for me in color and I absolutely love how he captured the cuteness of the baby monkey so perfectly!


The gorilla head on top is what Bernie made while I made the one on the bottom. Since Bernie is an excellent sculptor as well as a painter, he gave me some helpful techniques to make it look more realistic.  As you can see, his looks more realistic, but a little scarier than the one I made. I think it has to do with the fact that he works for a game company where he draws monsters all day long!
After I made the head and the body, I made a base out of a lazy susan I bought from bed bath and beyond with a 20% off coupon of course and some styrofoam.
Then I made some grass and placed the monkey on top of it.  I wanted it to have some more character so I added a backpack with some detail on it.
I love the detail with the buckle and the clay almost looks like it's made of suede.
Here's what the backpack looked like on my blue friend.
After I was done with the gorilla, I needed to make his little brother and since I wanted the baby monkey to look just right, I made two sample heads.  I also made some small flowers to add to the grass because I wanted them to look like they were walking through a meadow of flowers.

And here's the final product! This took me two weeks working non stop to complete and I am definitely happy with the results =)

10 comments:

  1. that is so cute! you did an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juna - wow... thats amazing.. it looks even better than the special sculptures they give dreamworks staff when they complete a movie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. two weeks?? OH MY GOSH! You guys are so cool. This project is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well..the concept stage and color studies took about a week and it took me one week to actually make it =)

    And thanks for the support! Save March 21st because my friends and I are hosting an event and you'll get to see a lot of my work in person. Chicago friends...wish you were here =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. unnie. i'm so impressed. the monkeys came out sooooo cute. i am amazed. u rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome Catherine! Those monkeys are adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine!

    Jamie here. :)

    I found your blog through Angie's blog. I wanted to say:

    OH MY GOSH your final project is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And I am missing you. I'm SO GLAD I got to see you in August...

    I love monkeys, too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, grat work!!! I see that everything you do is art!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete